Thursday, April 2, 2009

Little Traveler

This evening, David had quite a shock--Dixie was missing from the whelping box! She was across the room scooting around the dog food bins. He thought Phoebe had taken her out of the box, but when he put Dixie back in, she tried to get back over the board at the entrance. Obviously, she doesn't want to be on mom's schedule for meals but wants to find mom when she's hungry--which is almost all the time. I swapped the board for a higher one to discourage these forays--at least for another week or so--and noticed she was shaking. I picked Dixie up and she was making little whimpering sounds. She's not as brave and courageous as we thought! I cuddled her and held her close until she was quiet and fell asleep. I put her back in her warm box and watched her sleep for a bit, then gave her a good-bye pat--she was once again brave Dixie and growled at me!

No comments: